Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Feb 23, 2010 -- HOME!!

We had a busy final day yesterday -- lots of packing and organizing! I went with Manuela in the afternoon to get the girls' visas and passports from the American embassy, and then when I came back they had a little party at Zuetana to say good-bye to us and also celebrate Tomas's sentencia which was signed yesterday as well.

Some pics of us at the party:







And everything happened that needed to at the airport -- the only problem was that either from something I ate or from stress, I got really sick as we were waiting to leave Bogota. I almost fainted on the security line to go to the gate and then threw up twice in the lounge, lovely. The Avianca staff called a doctor and wanted me to get checked out. The girls were more disgusted than freaked out -- probably it didn't occur to them as it did to me that they might not let me get on the plane if they thought I was too ill. Fortunately I had a window of feeling better while I was speaking with the doctor before the next wave hit, and then when we finally made it onto the plane (they were an hour late boarding us) I was able to sleep some and woke up feeling OK. The girls fell asleep before we took off and slept for 4 hours, so they were in pretty good shape for customs and immigration when we arrived. Aside from the bout of illness, overall everything went very smoothly, largely thanks to Manuela who had everything very well organized and who went with us to the airport in Bogota to help us get checked in.

And once we got our bags and came out, Papi was there! Below, pics of us at the airport, taken in the same spot where we first met the girls last summer.




Today was very low-key. It was very rainy and cold, so the girls just relaxed on the couch, watched a movie and some TV, and took a nap in the afternoon. We also went swimming, played with slinkies in the stairwell, ran some races in the hallway outside our apartment, and had a "rico" taco dinner with the girls acting as sous-chefs to chop the tomatoes and lettuce, which they really enjoyed doing. They seem comfortable and happy overall, which is wonderful. We have lots of unpacking and organizing to do, and we have to gear up for our various appointments in the next few weeks -- doctors visits, etc. Now they are in bed and I need to do the same!

No comments: