Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ups and Downs

The transition to school has continued to be challenging though there is much to be hopeful about as well. We had to handle another major meltdown Friday night -- I chalk it up to exhaustion from the first week, including a soccer practice Friday night, and continued anxiety about all the adjustments necessary in going from a small urban Catholic school to a large suburban public one! We had a nice rest of the weekend overall, though. The girls started dance on Saturday, had a sleepover Saturday night and then we went to church and to their first soccer game on Sunday. They had a lot of fun all around and thankfully there is a no-homework policy on weekends which does make family time easier.

But this week I heard the dreaded words on both Monday and Tuesday morning, "I'm not going to school!" Fortunately it all worked out and we made it to school on time both days, but I have to say it struck fear to my heart! And Wendy has not slept straight through the night since last Thursday, so we are also dealing with interrrupted sleep which can certainly affect her mood (I'm working hard not to let it affect mine as whenever she is up, so am I).

However, this morning, despite being up for an hour during the night, it was a cheerful morning with some laughs and no problems at all getting dressed, eating breakfast, brushing teeth, and leaving on time. I am so thankful because I was getting to the end of my rope! Even if it's only a brief respite it makes a big difference.

Pictures to come of dance and soccer!

No comments: